Thursday, October 9, 2008

JDeveloper 11g Production on Mac OS

Everyone who is interested in Oracle Fusion Middleware probably knows, JDeveloper 11g is production now. And its possible to install it on Mac OS as well. On Windows, installation process is more straightforward, however it is relatively easy on Mac OS also - just you will need to follow a couple of configuration steps. In this post I will give instructions, I was following in order to install JDeveloper 11g on my MacBook Pro, I will concentrate on those instructions not mentioned in installation guide.

Installation process steps:

1) Download jdevstudio11110install.jar from OTN download page. It is a base install, without JDK 6.

2) Go to Oracle Fusion Middleware Installation Guide for Oracle JDeveloper on OTN and follow listed instructions.

3) After you will install Sun Java SE 6 for Mac OS X 10.5, you will need to make Java 1.6.0 default version of Java on your machine. You must run Java Preferences utility at /Applications/Utilities/Java/ to make Java 1.6.0 the default version on your OS. But, this will not change Java version across all system, so in terminal window I executed following commands as a root user to make Java 1.6.0 default VM:

$ cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/
$ ls -l CurrentJDK
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Oct 3 21:33 CurrentJDK -> 1.5.0
$ sudo rm CurrentJDK
$ sudo ln -s 1.6.0 CurrentJDK
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Oct 3 21:40 CurrentJDK -> 1.6.0


Now if you will execute java - version in terminal window, you should get something similar:

java version "1.6.0_05"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_05-b13-120)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_05-b13-52, mixed mode)


4) However, if you will run JDeveloper 11g installer at this step, you still will not be able to install successfully. In my case, installer wasn't able to find Java Home, even if I was providing it directly. I have solved this, when I have found a section about Known Issues for installing JDeveloper 11g on Mac OS in Release Notes document.

When all listed steps were done, installation wizard found Java 1.6.0 automatically and installation finished successfully:


JDeveloper 11g is up and running on Macintosh:

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just looked at Sun and don't find SE6 for Mac...

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/system-configurations.html

Andrej Baranovskij said...

Hi,

You need to download it from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/javaformacosx105update1.html

Regards,
Andrejus

Anonymous said...

My mistake, you must have a 64bit machine...
Mine actually came with, but I cannot run the 1.6.0 version as it comes up with:
mike-reyss-imac:Versions mikereys$ java -version
-bash: /usr/bin/java: Bad CPU type in executable

And some research showed me that no 32bit version has been released yet. Unless I still missed something!

Unknown said...

ah..

just what i need.
now the JDK is showing..

Thanks Andre

dragz

Phil Hunt said...

I managed to get it installed and quicklaunch fired up JDev successfully.

However I notice there is no "app" launcher for OSX any more (it was there in the preview).

What is the best way to launch JDeveloper 11g on the Mac?

Andrej Baranovskij said...

Hi,

I'm launching it from Terminal - install_dir/jdeveloper/jdev/bin/jdev

Also, you can write a script for this command.

Regards,
Andrejus

Anonymous said...

Here's another way to get a launch icon:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=2823047&#2823047

ragmaxone said...

I made the stuff about JDK1.6 (download from Apple, install successfuly, wrote the commands) but still get the 1.5 when typing "java -version"...

Thanks in advance.

ragmaxone said...

I found something working but now I have problems with Eclipse and Netbeans... they don't want to start.
So I will leave JDeveloper11g and try to fix the rest before my second attempt.

Andrej Baranovskij said...

Probably because you updated to Java 1.6 and Eclipse with NetBeans are using Java 1.5. Just my guess.

Regards,
Andrejus

Anonymous said...

A good way to launch JDev is through the quickstart.jar file in the jdevhome/utils/quickstart directory.

Regards,
Miguel Angel

Anonymous said...

Quer conhecer o Brasil? Passe lá no Blog do Clausewitz. Abração

Andrej Baranovskij said...

One of my blog readers pointed me, that there is additional problem when running Integrated WLS, here it is described along with solution: http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/htdocs/11/11.1.1.1/knownissues.html#running

Regards,
Andrejus

Bobby Bissett said...

According to Apple, you shouldn't mess with the sym links to change versions of your JDK. Those can change at any time. Instead, you can just create a JAVA_HOME environment variable.

For one writeup (mine) on changing JDKs, see this blog. Sorry if that seems like an ad, I got all the info from Apple's site and you could get the same info by searching for 'environment.plist'.

For Oracle's workaround on getting JDeveloper to run on the Mac, see this page. The only change I needed was a symlink to classes.jar so that the installer could find it as rt.jar. In other words, it's a change in the directory structure between Mac's JDK and Sun's.

Cheers,
Bobby Bissett

Unknown said...

After my install, I'm missing the classes listed below. Has anyone seen a resolution for this issue? Here is a link to my Oracle forum post that provides detail:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=9578760

oracle.adfinternal.model.portlet.rc.ptlprovider.PortletProducerContextFactory
oracle.portlet.client.connection.web.WebProducerConnection